Welcome to Love's Legacy: Frankie & Jonny

The start of the story can be found
here and it can be navigated by using the menu to the right or by selecting newer post or older post at the bottom of each chapter. It may not be updated with quite the frequency of Edge of a Broken Heart but I will do my best to post at least once a fortnight.

Enjoy!!

Monday, April 6, 2009

Chapter 14


 

Jon stood at the bar of the Mandarin Oriental's Ballroom, amused by the eclectic group gathered to pay tribute to the late Branson McKenzie. It was coming up on a year since Branson had passed in just a few short weeks, and Beth had thought it fitting to organize a Gala in his honor. Her hope was to raise funds for a new scholarship program in Branson's name, to help aspiring young artists from underprivileged backgrounds. Of course, when asked, Jon had agreed to perform at the event – anything to help get his daughter on side.

He and Frankie were making progress but it was slow and hard going. She was civil to him now, and they even managed the occasional conversation but not much more could be said beyond that. He made a point to see her at least once a week besides their weekly dinners, if only for a few minutes at Beth's house, where he seemed to be spending more and more time. After Beth's car accident and Jon's subsequent dismissal from her house – at least that was how he had seen it – she had called to apologize and explained it was only because she had felt guilty for monopolizing the time he should have been spending with his kids. Of course he told her there was nothing to forgive, and their budding friendship was restored.

The 'family' dinners were going very well. Jon was enjoying immensely the opportunity to get to know his daughter from the woman who raised her – all the little quirks and tidbits of information that Frankie herself would not consider important but yet were so vital to the person she had become.

Frankie herself had joined them for every dinner thus far, and Jon wondered if it was because she wanted to get to know him as she claimed, or to chaperone him and Beth. He often caught her looking between them, a bemused expression on her face.

Beyond the knowledge of his daughter that he was gaining, and the time spent with her, Jon enjoyed the dinners simply for Beth's company. They had fallen into an easy rapport, both of them having Frankie's best interests at heart. Their dinners were very comfortable now. Conversation flowed as easily as the wine they drank, often to Frankie's annoyance. She did not comprehend her mother's compulsion to help this stranger, to grant him access to their lives, and she made no secret of it. She still had no knowledge of Beth's accident, and so didn't understand the bond that had formed between the two of them so quickly.

While all was going well in his relationship with Beth and Frankie – as well as could be expected with the later – his home life had fallen into a steep decline. His relationship with the children was fine, great in fact – they were curious about Frankie, and the older two often came to see him after his dinner with her for a full briefing. They had, only the day before, asked when it would be possible for them to meet her. He had explained that he didn't think Frankie was quite ready for that yet.

It was his relationship with his wife that was posing the problem. Despite her best efforts to conceal it, her resentment of the time he spent with Frankie was obvious and her snide remarks about his relationship with Beth had become intolerable. It was becoming harder for him to be around her. Even when she was trying to be nice, there was a falseness about it that he could no longer stomach. He found himself avoiding her now as much as possible, arranging his schedule so that he would have time with the kids when she was otherwise occupied.

Jon found it was difficult to resolve his feelings where his wife was concerned. He still loved her. How could he not? She had given him four beautiful children, had supported him throughout his career and all of his indiscretions. But that support was no longer there, and it seemed the more time he spent with Beth, the more he remembered what a relationship should be like…what a partnership should be like. Reliving with her memories of her life with Branson and Frankie, he could see what a family could be…should be.

And that was where the difficulty lie, because in seeing that, he recognized that a lot of the problems in his marriage were his fault. He wasn't there like Branson had been. Sure he provided his family with a nice life…hell, a great life…but what was that life if he wasn't there with them. He could see now how Dot had evolved into the person she had become. Looking back, sharing his own memories with his new family, he recognized it as the slow gradual change that it was, a change that could possibly have been prevented with just a little more care and attention from him. He also recognized, with sadness, that now it was too far past the point where it could be rectified.

He focused his attention on the present. The black tie event had attracted a strange mix of people; quite different from the Gala's he was used to. He nodded politely and tried to suppress a grin, as a rather robust woman with bright blue spiky hair paraded in front of him and winked salaciously in his direction.

On closer inspection, for the most part the crowd really was rather ordinary but for the few brave standouts - such as his new found friend – that made him feel as though he was in an alien world. He scanned the room for any sign of his daughter but came up short. Then on the other side of the room he spotted her, she was far from being his daughter. She was however, by far the most beautiful woman in the room. Elegant and graceful and swathed in a deep blue Satin sheath that clung enticingly in all the right places and flowed fluidly in all the rest. Sleeveless with a plunging neckline that enhanced enticingly the gentle curve of her breasts, the dress perfectly complimented her ivory skin and dark curls.

The woman turned to smile at him, and in his mind the crowd all but disappeared as she floated across the room. There was no other way to describe the way she moved, so fluid and smooth. It wasn't until she was right in front of him that Jon was able to reconcile exactly what he was seeing. This stunning ethereal creature was Beth – his Bethie. He was so used to seeing her in casual day clothes that it was hard for him to believe it was the same woman.

"Good evening Jon," she greeted him formally but leant forward to place a soft familiar kiss on his cheek.

Neither of them was aware of the camera that flashed bright as her ruby lips made contact with his skin.    

Jon silently breathed out the word whoa. "Beth…you look…well stunning just doesn't seem to cover it really…exquisite perhaps. Yet I don't think even that does you justice tonight. I am a wordsmith lost for words."

Beth blushed under his intense gaze and flattery but accepted it gracefully. "Thank you very much Jon. I must say this is quite the departure from your usual jeans and T-shirts." She said grasping his lapel between her thumb and forefinger and running them down its length. "You look very dashing. Oh my, do people even say that anymore?" She giggled…how was it exactly that he was managing to make her this nervous, she felt tipsy but hadn't had so much as a sip of wine.

Jon grinned at her lopsidedly, "Bethie honey, looking like that, I am most positive you could get away with saying anything you wanted, to anyone and most definitely to me." Shit…shit, shit…maybe that was a bit too full on. Tone it down you idiot. You're still married and this is her husband's memorial for fucks sake.

Oh my God…is he actually flirting with me? Beth wondered. She was very out of practice with the whole singles scene… her and Branson had been high school sweethearts who had married straight out of college. Thoughts of her husband triggered feelings of guilt within her. It seemed she had been feeling that way a lot lately. What was it about this man that had her emotions so bamboozled all the time?

The silence stretched on as both of them were lost in their own thoughts. It was Jon that finally spoke first to break it, sticking to a safer topic.

"Is Frankie here? I haven't seen her." He asked as he once again scanned the room for his daughter.

Beth let out a breath she hadn't known she'd been holding. "She is, yes. She ducked out the back when she saw you come in. Sorry." Beth tilted her head slightly and gave a little shrug of her shoulders in resignation.

Jon shook his head, "Do you think she'll ever really come around?"

Beth placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and squeezed lightly, marveling at the hard muscle beneath her fingers. "Give her time Jon…she's your daughter, she will come around eventually. I just think that it is particularly hard for her today because she wishes things could have been different …that Branson was here to see all this."

"And that I wasn't….right?" Jon said sadly.

"I'm not going to lie to you Jon and say she isn't having…" Beth paused to find the right word, issues… no, that wasn't right, "…difficulty accepting you being here. In some small way she is still holding you responsible…" At Jon's look of distress she explained, "Oh Jon, please don't take that the wrong way. She knows it's irrational…that it isn't really your fault. She just needs someone to blame, and at the moment, you're a convenient target."

"Well, I wish someone would take the bull's-eye off my back so we can get past it and she can allow me to be a father to her. I'm not trying to take Branson's place Beth, God knows I never could even if I wanted to, but I think I've been a pretty good father to the rest of my kids…I just want the chance to be that for her now. I've already missed so much…" There was an edge to his voice…a hint of desperation.

Beth knew he was sincere in his sentiments but her daughter's decisions were her own to make. If Frankie chose not to see Jon, she… and Jon would just have to respect that. After the year her daughter had suffered, Beth had no intention of forcing her into a relationship she quite simply wasn't ready for.

"I know Jon…just keep the faith…okay? It will all come in good time." Beth was surprised to see a grin playing at the corner of those gorgeous lips of his.

"You trying to make a funny Beth?" He asked amused.

"Huh?"

"Keep the Faith…" He replied pointedly.

"Ohh…yeah. That was one of yours wasn't it? Sorry, it really wasn't intentional." Beth's smile took his breath away. "So what are you singing for us tonight?"

"Hmmm I really hadn't decided…any requests?" He asked.

"Sorry… I'm not all that familiar with your work. " Beth replied, seemingly abashed.

He smiled gently, "You know, I can sing other songs…"

"Ummm… do you know 'Lean on Me'? It was one of Branson's favorites."

Thank God she picked one he knew, he thought. "Sure thing…anything else?"

"He was a huge Beatles fan," she offered.

"Good…good. I have the perfect song for that."

"Oh and…" she paused.

"Yes?"

"Well…I do like that new one of yours that been playing on the radio…what's it called?"

"Make a Memory?" He suggested. He was pleased to know she'd been paying attention.

In reality she had come to know a lot more of his music. Over the last couple of months she had gathered a rather extensive Bon Jovi catalogue and his CD's were a constant in her player of late but she didn't want him to know that.

"Yes that's it...perfect." She beamed up at him. She was positively glowing. His heart skipped a beat.

"Um… I think I have time for a couple more…Do you want me to pick them?"

"Sure…I trust you completely." As she spoke the words, she realized she meant the in more than just the context of the present conversation.

Over the last weeks he had earned her trust, she no longer had any reservations at all where Jon was concerned. She knew that he only had Frankie's best interests at heart, so she resolved herself to helping him in any way possible to forge a relationship with their daughter – now that was still an uncomfortable thought…their daughter.

"Alright then…when do you want me up there?" He was anxious to get the show on the road now.

Beth looked at her watch. "I guess in about an hour or so. I have to make a speech, and then Frankie's up before you."

"Frankie's speaking as well? I didn't know that." He looked towards the small stage in surprise.

"No Jon. Frankie is singing…I guess she didn't tell you after all…" Beth frowned.

"I…I didn't know she sang. I mean I knew she could, you told me about the lessons and I heard her at the…that one time I told you about," he still couldn't bring himself to say the cemetery, "but I didn't know she actually sang…in public, I mean."

"To be honest…she doesn't usually. She doesn't like drawing unnecessary attention to herself, but she wanted to do this for her Dad. It's her goodbye I guess...and she is determined to get through it." Beth watched Jon's face very carefully for any signs of discomfort but they just weren't there. His features were smooth…calm, if anything they only showed concern.

"I can understand that but it won't be easy for her. Richie and I did a concert in memory of his father earlier this year and Beth…it was tough. I mean it's hard to talk when you're emotional, right?" She nodded in response. "Well it's damn near impossible to sing. I had that lump in my throat all damn night and was on the verge of tears several times. Hell, I did cry a couple of them. And it was worse for Richie of course."

"Do you think I should stop her?"

Jon shook his head. "No. Not if it's what she feels she needs to do. If she is even a little like me…well that hard headed determination will get her through it. Just be there to support her when she comes off."

"Yes" Beth agreed. "I'd better get back to mingling. I'll see you backstage…just come back when I finish my speech so you're ready as soon as Frankie is done."

"No problem." Jon lifted a hand in goodbye and watched Beth's hips sway seductively as she crossed the room. He didn't think she was even aware of the sexual energy she exuded. It just came naturally to her. It wasn't the contrived sexuality that he was so often exposed to. This was subtle, but oh so intense.

***

Just shy of an hour later Jon made his way to the side of the stage. Frankie stood silently watching her Mom at the podium, a beat up old acoustic guitar case sat at her feet. Jon walked over to stand beside her.

"Hey baby." He whispered close to her ear.

Frankie's jaw clenched, "I. Am. Not. Your. Baby!"

"Sorry. She's doing well," he said indicating the stage with a slight nod.

"Shhhh" Frankie scowled at him and pointed at her mother who was just finishing up her speech.

"Sorry...of course." Jon clasped his hands loosely before him and waited for Beth to finish.

Her voice had remained calm and steady throughout the speech but broke slightly as she began to introduce Frankie. "All of you know what a wonderful man Branson was. He was my heart, my soul, my reason for living sometimes. But many of you may not know our daughter, Frankie. She was the light of Branson's life, and I know she misses him very much, as much as I do. She has a special song she'd like to dedicate to her 'Daddy'."

As her mother spoke Frankie retrieved a beautiful old Tamaki from its case and walked slowly out on to the stage. She took a seat on the high stool that had been placed in a spotlight just to the left of the podium, braced her right leg on the rung at the bottom and propped her guitar on her knee.

She took a deep breath and spoke clearly into the microphone, "I miss you Daddy, this one's for you."

Another deep breath and she began to sing…

For all those times you stood by me
For all the truth that you made me see
For all the joy you brought to my life
For all the wrong that you made right
For every dream you made come true
For all the love I found in you
I'll be forever thankful baby
You're the one who held me up
Never let me fall
You're the one who saw me through through it all

Her voice rang out clear and strong, Jon was impressed by its intensity. His eyes flicked between Frankie on stage, and Beth who stood beside him. He could see in the set her jaw that she was concerned for their daughter. He bridged the gap between them to offer her his hand, her fingers entwined in his grateful for the support and she offered him a small smile.


You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

You gave me wings and made me fly
You touched my hand I could touch the sky
I lost my faith, you gave it back to me
You said no star was out of reach
You stood by me and I stood tall
I had your love I had it all


 

Only a professional would have detected the strain in Frankie's voice, to Jon's practiced ear it was obvious. Beth also sensed Frankie's difficulty, and gripped Jon's hand just that little bit tighter.


 

I'm grateful for each day you gave me
Maybe I don't know that much
But I know this much is true
I was blessed because I was loved by you

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

You were always there for me
The tender wind that carried me
A light in the dark shining your love into my life
You've been my inspiration
Through the lies you were the truth
My world is a better place because of you

Tears began to stream down Frankie's cheeks as she sang. Her voice broke and Jon took a step forward, but Beth restrained him whispering in his ear. "She needs to do this Jon. If you go out there now she will never forgive you."

Her voice was weak but Frankie managed to pull it together and carry on.

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'coz you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

When the song was finished Frankie remained on the stool her head bowed. The room erupted in applause but she did not move. This time when Jon made to walk forward Beth allowed it. She smiled at him gently through her tears and nodded.

Jon walked over to Frankie and switched her mic off before he spoke, "Are you okay honey? Do you want me to help you off?"

She shook her head weakly indicating 'No'. He pulled the mic from the stand and turned it back on.

"Let's have another hand for Frankie McKenzie everyone." The applause was thunderous. Jon waited for it to die down before he spoke again and watched Frankie leave the stage and find the comfort of her mother's arms. A lump formed in his throat. "What an amazing daughter Branson had, I'm beginning to realize just how special and unique she is. It takes an exceptional individual to nurture a child – I know just how hard it is, I have four of my own – Branson and Beth have done a wonderful job with their daughter. Her courage and devotion, speak to the kind of man he was. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions, through various charities and business dealings. He was a family man, a man of great conviction, a community leader whose generosity of not only money, but time will be sorely missed. We gather here today to pay tribute to this great man and to honor him and his life by digging deep in our pockets to give to this worthy cause. To encourage you to do so, I am here to entertain you this evening. Now, I don't know that I can do the stage justice after Frankie's very moving performance, but I will do my best. Beth shared with me earlier a few of Branson's favorite songs. I'd like to begin with one of them now. Ladies and Gentlemen… 'Lean on Me'"

Frankie clung to Beth in the wings of the stage, obviously distressed, as Jon performed his set. It was short, only five songs. Even still on more than one occasion he considered leaving the stage. If Frankie could do it he could too. He drew from her strength and managed to complete the set comprising of 'Lean on Me', followed by the Beatles classic 'A Little Help From My Friends' and Jon's own 'Make a Memory' and 'Thank You For Loving Me'. He rounded out the set with Paul Simons' 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'.

He bowed graciously at the crowd's applause and promptly left the stage, it was the longest five songs of his life, knowing that his daughter was at the side of the stage in pain. He placed a gentle comforting hand on Frankie's back, and for once she did not shrink away from him, she was too caught up in emotion and the comfort of her mother to even notice he was there.

2 comments:

The Goddess Hathor said...

What a moving chapter. A perfect song for Frankie to honor her father with, and Jon's set was beautiful. He's going to have hell to pay with Dot when she sees that picture, though....

~ Hath

Bayaderra said...

Wow...you had me reaching for Kleenex once again with Frankie's song...
And I agree with Hath, Dot is gonna have a field day when that picture comes out...