Welcome to Love's Legacy: Frankie & Jonny

The start of the story can be found
here and it can be navigated by using the menu to the right or by selecting newer post or older post at the bottom of each chapter. It may not be updated with quite the frequency of Edge of a Broken Heart but I will do my best to post at least once a fortnight.

Enjoy!!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chapter 6

Beth cursed softly at the sound of the door bell. She was in the process of cleaning her small home studio and was elbow deep in grime. She wiped the back of her hand across her brow and down the side of her face to shift a stray wisp of hair that had escaped the Versace scarf she was wearing to protect it from getting mussed. As she did a streak of paint unknowingly transferred to her cheek. She rubbed her palms down over the slightly too small, white machine shrunk T and tatty paint stained denim cutoffs as she made her way to the door.

Jon heard movement behind the door and his nerves kicked up a notch....how was that even possible? The metallic crunch of locks alerted him to the imminent opening of the door but nothing could prepare him for what he found on the other side.

A woman stood before him, he couldn't quite place her age, early thirties maybe, and though she was not Gina, he could not find it in himself to be disappointed, for despite her state of disarray, she was one of the loveliest creatures he had ever seen.

Beth stood in the doorway - uncomfortable given the state she was in - under the visitor's intent stare. She recognised him immediately and had known this day would come, but she hadn't expected it so soon. She watched as his gaze quickly took in the lines of her slender curves, pausing as most did on the usual assets – her long toned legs, her tiny waist and her firm perky breasts. She had no doubt that, had she turned around, he would have, very much, admired her ass as well.

Jon gave the woman the cursory head to toe…Very nice indeed. Her lips were full; her tongue darted out to moisten them as he continued to appraise her. A slight blush colored her high cheekbones. When his eyes finally came to rest on hers they were warm, chocolate brown and expressive. He felt he would get lost in their depths.

He wondered who she was. If he hadn't been so distracted by his purpose in being there he may have realized that this woman was exactly his type. He may have even asked for a phone number. But at that moment only one woman clouded his thoughts.

"Hello, my name is Jon Bon Jovi. I was hoping to see Gina please." He asked politely.

"I am aware of who you are Mr. Bon Jovi. But I'm sorry there is no Gina here." Beth wondered if playing dumb would deter him. She wasn't ready for her life to be disrupted like this, not so soon after…

Jon wondered if he'd been given the wrong address... Was he in the right place? He pulled the address from his pocket and showed it to the woman. "I am in the right place aren't I?"

Beth hesitated. She hated to lie. But she wasn't...not really. "You are at that address, yes. But there is no Gina here. I'm sorry!" She spoke softly as she began to close the door.

The whole thing confused Beth a little; she had expected him to ask for Frankie. In fact, come to think of it, the fact that he was asking after Gina at all, was strange. Didn't he know her fate? Beth had always assumed that Jon would have received a letter from Gina similar to the one her daughter had...asking him to contact her so that she could reveal a long hidden secret to him, vague and cryptic yet with enough clues to solve the mystery. She had always thought of this first contact as being about him discovering the child he had never known. But if he didn't receive the letter….what had led him here?

Beth doubted that Frankie had contacted him. She knew that her daughter had worked out the mystery of the letter. They had discussed it briefly but Frankie was very resistant to contacting "the man who got my mother pregnant" as she put it, she never referred to him in any affectionate way…she couldn't bring herself to use the word father. She had said - in her mind - he was just so far removed from what that word meant.

Jon put his hand against the door to stop her. "Well, is there a Frankie McKenzie here?"

Beth sighed audibly. So maybe she had contacted him.

"She doesn't live here, no." Disappointment was immediately evident on his face. "But I am her mother." She continued reluctantly.

Jon's reaction was one of mixed emotion... at first illogical, irrational relief - in view of what he knew, if only subconsciously, to be true - she wasn't his after all. This was rapidly followed by disappointment, then anger and...loss. He realised he'd already formed an attachment to the young woman.

"But .... She told me her mother was a very good friend from my past." He swept his hand through his short brown hair; confusion was evident on his face now.

"When?"

"Last night, about the same time she dropped the bombshell that I was her father." He said, then added in a disgusted tone, "Hey…Is this some kind of sick joke? ...because I can tell you, I ain't finding it the least bit funny."

"I wasn't aware she was looking. I thought it was still too soon for her." Beth said absently, more to herself than this man on her doorstep. That bought her to her senses, "Oh...How rude of me. Please come in. Can I offer you a drink?"

Jon didn't move. "What's going on here? I think I'm missing something."

"I'm sorry. It seems my manners have completely eluded me in the face of your news. I am Elizabeth McKenzie, I am not Frankie's birth mother, but she is very much my daughter. My husband and I adopted her as an infant." Beth held out a hand and he shook it gently. A jolt of electricity passed through her hand at his touch.

"I am expecting a visit from her shortly." Beth gestured for him to enter again, this time he complied. "Can I get you that drink?"

Jon nodded, "Thank you. Coffee please if it's not too much trouble."

"Of course. How do you take it?" Jon had an irresistible urge to reach out and wipe the grime from her face. He shoved his hands deep in his pockets. It was way too familiar a gesture.

"Strong and black, thank you." He watched her as she began to move towards what he assumed was the kitchen.

"I won't be but a moment."

"I would really like to see Gina. Do you know where she is?"

Jon watched as Beth stiffened at the question, but continued to move. "I'm sorry; it is not my place to tell you that... perhaps Frankie will be able to help you." She shouted from the kitchen

While Jon waited for Elizabeth to return he studied the meticulous apartment. Several well known paintings adorned the walls and on almost every available surface a family photo... or ten... was displayed. He moved around the room following his daughter's - now that would take some getting used to, the thought echoed - his daughter's development though the many photographs. He observed that like most children her features had changed through the years and there were periods where she looked decidedly more like his daughter, more like him, than she did now.

In pride of place on the ornate granite mantle surrounding the fireplace were several photos of Frankie, at different ages, with a handsome distinguished looking gentleman he recognised as Branson from his previous business dealings. A stab of pain gripped him as he realised that it should have been him in those photos. It should have been him pushing her on the swing, her giggling in glee. It should have been him teaching her to ride her first bicycle and fixing her scrapes when she fell off. It should have been him engaging her in the first snowball fight of the season and it should have been him standing proudly beside her in her cap and gown as she graduated, with honours it would seem, from high school. It could have been him in those photos, would have been him if only he'd known.

Jon felt a small surge of anger towards Gina then. How could she have kept this from him? She had cheated him out of eighteen years of his daughter's life. Having four other children of his own, he knew just how precious that time was.

A key turning in the lock at the end of the hallway snapped him out of his reverie and he looked with interest in the direction of the noise.

"It's only me mom. You here?" It was a question rather than a statement. Frankie was occupied with arranging her belongings in her handbag as she entered the living room thus failing to notice the guest who stood quietly near the Fireplace, intently observing her.

Jon cleared his throat…he didn't want to startle her. His attempt at subtlety was in vain. Frankie did startle - almost violently. Her body becoming stone still the second her eyes met his. When she spoke her tone was harsh and cold "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see you. Did you really think I'd just forget our conversation last night?"

"How did you get in here? Where is my mom?"

Beth yelled from the kitchen. "I let him in honey. I'll be out in a moment." She wanted to observe her daughters initial reaction from the safety of the kitchen.

"Actually I'm glad you mentioned your mother. Don't you think you left out some important bits of information last night?

"Such as? I told you then it was need to know and you don't need to know anything."

"I came here expecting to find Gina"

"So you didn't come to see me after all...you're here for Gina."

Jon's jaw clenched. He could see this conversation would be an uphill battle. "I came here to see both of you."

"Well as you can see she isn't here, and I have no interest in seeing you...so if you don't mind." Frankie gestured towards the door. She saw her mother watching with interest framed by the kitchen door jamb.

"Right," The word was slow and drawn out "And you expect me to believe that? If you really had no interest in seeing me you never would have even spoken to me last night."

"I can see that is a mistake I will be paying for long into the future. I was taken of guard last night...it was never my intention to approach you. And believe me if I could take it back I would."

Jon glared at her in disbelief "Take it back? What exactly do you mean? Who your father is, is not something you can take back."

Frankie watched her mother's face crumble fleetingly and then smooth over, as she reacted to Jon's choice of words. She took a deep breath and clenched her jaw in an attempt to control her temper.

"You are not my father....just an unfortunate accident."

"Sorry but I just don't believe you honey" Jon replied, oblivious to the pain he had caused Beth. "You need a little more practice before you try to bullshit a bullshitter."

"At least your self-assessment is spot on." Frankie spat.

Jon smirked "Yeah, whatever, honey. Look, I came here to see Gina, yes, but I also wanted to talk to you. Last night I was in shock but the more I thought about it, the more I think you're right. I am your father. I only need to look at you to see that and the timing is certainly right." This next part had to be done just right. He couldn't have her thinking that she would be able to come in and disrupt his life. Their relationship had to be on his terms. "Now I'm sure you want to be part of my life now that you've found me, so I just wanted to let you know that I'm open to that. We'll have to figure out a way to make it work, of course, so it doesn't interfere with my kids, but I'm sure we can come up …"

Beth stood by, eyes wide in horror, as she braced herself for what she knew would come next.

Frankie's voice took on a steely edge "You really are something… you know that...did nothing I said to you last night sink in."

"I'm sorry. I don't know what you're talking about" This was hardly the reaction Jon was expecting. He wasn't expecting open arms by any means…he knew it would be difficult, but this…

"Let me spell it out for you. I don't want to look at you let alone spend time with you. I have no interest whatsoever in being a part of your life. In fact if I never see you again it will be much too soon. Did you understand me that time?"

Frankie watched as Jon's shoulder slumped slightly, his confidence wavering in the face of her vehement statement. "I don't think you mean that."

Frankie stared him down. "THINK AGAIN!! I have never meant anything more."

"You'll come around, I'm sure. But meanwhile, I need to talk to your mother." He shot a glance at Beth "I mean your real mother" The death stare on the faces of both women had him realizing his mistake very quickly.

"Shit… I keep fucking this up." He turned to Beth. "My apologies." Then back to Frankie. "Could you please take me to Gina?"

"I don't think that's possible."

"Why not? Isn't she still in the city?"

Frankie considered her answer carefully. "She's… close by."

"So what's the problem? She and I need to talk. I'm sure she probably wants to see me too."

"I doubt that."

Beth continued to watch the exchange with interest.

Jon shook his head in disbelief "You are unreal. Why on earth would she not want to see me? I fathered her child." He grinned wryly. "She might wanna kick my ass at first but I think we need to talk to each other."

"Don't you think the fact that she never contacted you speaks volumes?"

"I'm married. I'm sure she probably didn't want to disrupt my life."

"Yes that was it...she preferred to do all this alone to spare you the inconvenience." Frankie said, the sarcasm in her words not lost on him.

"That's why I'd like to see her again. To, you know, thank her…I guess."

"Thank her...that's laughable. Do you think she did this for you? HA!"

"You don't think she deserves to be thanked for what she gave up for you? Besides, what we had, well, we were…. good friends." He grinned at the memory, "I'm sure she'd like to catch up on old times."

"FOR ME???? What do you know about what she gave up?" Bitterness laced her words but a deep sadness was evident on her face.

"Well I can imagine."

Frankie mumbled, "I doubt that." But then she considered his request and a cruel little smile twisted her lips.

Immediately Beth interpreted Frankie's expression. "Can I see you in the kitchen honey?"

"Not now mama…I'm busy" She turned to Jon then. "Sooo," she stretched out the word, "you really want to see her that bad huh?"

Jon rolled his eyes "That's what I have been trying to tell you honey." He turned to Beth then, "She's a little hard headed, isn't she?" He recognized where that trait came from and grinned in amusement.

Beth just smiled quickly in response.

"You sure you want to do this?" Frankie asked a little impatiently. "Just remember, there's no going back…"

"Did I stutter? Look I am sure I deserve her worst...I'll just have to deal with that, but she had her fair share of blame here as well."

"Fine! Let's go then." Frankie was already heading to the door.

"Great!" Jon had his car keys out of his pocket and was following after Frankie.

"Frances Gina Carol, you get your butt back here immediately" Beth said sternly.

Jon stood by and watched as Frankie walked back to her mother, his brow quirking in amusement at the slight Southern accent he suddenly detected in Elizabeth's voice.

When Beth spoke it was barely audible to Jon despite his close proximity. It was something she didn't want him to hear…so of course, he listened closer.

"Honey, I really don't think this is a very good idea," Beth whispered.

Frankie's expression softened at her mother's worried tone. "Mom, it'll be fine", she said softly before turning back towards the door.

Beth grabbed her daughter's arm and spoke in urgent, hushed tones. "Have you really thought this through? I know you're upset right now, but I don't think he deserves..."

Frankie stopped her mother there. "He asked for it, Mama." There wasn't a trace of disrespectfulness in her voice, but nothing was going to deter her from the course she had set now.

"Ok, but it's on your head. Make sure you're not doing something you'll regret later."

"Stop worrying so much. I know what I'm doing," Frankie responded. Jon watched as she leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on Elizabeth's cheek, but her eyes were hard as she turned back to him. "You ready?"

Jon only nodded in response. He was still trying to determine the significance of what had just transpired. Had Beth just defended him? 'Defend' wasn't really the right word, he didn't think, but it seemed she was trying to protect him from something…but what?"

"Frankie…think about what you are doing." Beth sighed deeply, "Please honey."

Frankie waved at her mother and was out the door before Beth could say any more.

Jon turned towards her, extending his hand to shake. "Thank you, Elizabeth, for…ah…the coffee and everything It was lovely to meet you. I just wish it was under better circumstances."

Beth sighed again, "Me too!" There was a hint of sadness and apology in her voice.

Frankie yelled impatiently from the foyer, "Are you coming or not?"

Jon shrugged and followed his daughter out into the foyer and into the waiting elevator. "So where to?"

Frankie ignored his question. "Where is the car?"

Jon pressed the remote and indicated to the Green BMW parked at the curb. He'd been lucky with parking …at least something had gone right.

He opened the door for Frankie, waited for her to slide in, then closed it behind her.

When he was settled behind the wheel, he asked again. "Where to?"

"Just drive…I'll direct you," she said confidently.

The atmosphere on the drive was very tense. There was no small talk, no getting to know each other. Frankie directed…Jon drove, but he couldn't help wondering where her head was. She, on the other hand, had no interest in his thoughts at all.

He followed her directions out of New York and on to Jersey City. They followed the I-95 for about half an hour before turning on to the Garden State Parkway and following it for about the same length of time, passing the town of his birth, Perth Amboy.

Jon knew these streets like the back of his hand and found it impossible to believe that Gina had been so near all this time…but maybe she hadn't.

"How long has she been out here?" he asked softly.

"Since I was born." Frankie did not elaborate.

"Oh." His mouth silently formed the word.

It appeared they were heading to Asbury Park when Frankie directed him to make a left turn. Five minutes later, he was pulling up at the gates of Woodbine Cemetery.

"What are we doing here?" He asked as Frankie undid her belt and got out of the car. He followed.

Frankie rolled her eyes and shook her head. "I guess iIt's true what they say about the pretty ones," she said cuttingly.

Jon followed Frankie as she wove her way through the grounds of the cemetery. As cemeteries went, it was a nice one – lush green lawns, beautiful gardens, elegant shade trees. After walking for a few minutes, he spotted their destination, an ornately carved headstone in the name of McKenzie.

But Frankie barely paused there. Instead, she ran her fingers over the top of the grave stone as she passed, caressing the cold hard stone lovingly, "Hello Daddy."

She continued to walk...he continued to follow.

Jon was beginning to think she was a little unbalanced. "Where are we going? What is this, a lesson in genealogy?"

"Something like that," she answered and the stopped before a large stone angel.

"Gina..." she said formally, "I'm sure you remember Jon."

Frankie watched Jon's emotions change in the expressions on his face, first horror… then rapidly anger and disbelief.

"What is this?" He growled. "Is this some kind of sick fucking joke? Because this is not funny, DAMN IT."

"I wish it was." Frankie said sadly.

Jon moved closer to the headstone to better read it.

In loving memory

Gina Romeo

Born 10 july 1962

Died 14 november 1989

Now an angel watching over her daughter Frances.

He read the inscription, his eyes fixed on the date of death. He looked at Frankie, pleading.

"But that's…" he began, nearly stuttering in shock….

She nodded wondering why she wasn't feeling the vindictive pleasure she was expecting from his expression of tortured regret.

"Oh fuck!"

He felt, rather than saw, Frankie watching with interest as the blood drained from his face. He felt sick, bile rising in his throat as he collapsed to his knees on the soft blanket of green grass covering Gina's grave… his Gina. He fell forward, his hands rested on the cold ground, his head bowed.

Jon's eyes stung as he furiously tried to blink back the tears that threatened to fall. What right did he have to cry at her grave after what he had done to her? But he was fighting a losing battle. As the horror of the situation set in, the tears fell unchecked.

"Oh my god...Gina." His voice broke on her name.

6 comments:

diane4jovi said...

Thanks. Great chapter. I can see Beth playing a big roll in helping Jon work through the pain. I hope Frankie will see things from Jon's point of view eventually.

Bayaderra said...

OMG!
You are such a powerful writer!!!
I'm crying again...

koolsheena said...

Great chapter. :)

Totally loved this paragraph:

(A stab of pain gripped him as he realised that it should have been him in those photos. It should have been him pushing her on the swing, her giggling in glee. It should have been him teaching her to ride her first bicycle and fixing her scrapes when she fell off. It should have been him engaging her in the first snowball fight of the season and it should have been him standing proudly beside her in her cap and gown as she graduated, with honours it would seem, from high school. It could have been him in those photos, would have been him if only he'd known.)

The Goddess Hathor said...

Venus, this was very well written. I love the idea of Jon seeing what he missed and the arrogance that showed through his blissful ignorance of Gina's "situation". The way Frankie told him about Gina was perfect; he wouldn't have believed her any other way.

Great job :)

~ Hath

TaraLeigh said...

MERCY! Powerful piece, Venus. All that emotion and anger was tangible. Between Beth's empathy and Jon and Frankie's bitter anger there was a lot of emotions flying around.

Jon's reaction to Gina's grave was spot on. Great job!

Judith said...

I see a long night coming for me!
This story has sucked me right in!
And now I´m worried because I saw your last chapter so far is 21?
Should I read slower???
Uh....I guess you have to write faster! ;)