Welcome to Love's Legacy: Frankie & Jonny

The start of the story can be found
here and it can be navigated by using the menu to the right or by selecting newer post or older post at the bottom of each chapter. It may not be updated with quite the frequency of Edge of a Broken Heart but I will do my best to post at least once a fortnight.

Enjoy!!

Friday, December 26, 2008

Chapter 4

"Well that's ok 'honey'" she said emphasising the term of endearment he had used on her "I have no intention of 'doing' my father!"

Frankie spun on her heal the second the words were out of her mouth and strode away. She had taken all of five steps when a firm hand grasped the top of her arm and spun her one hundred and eighty degrees.

"Be very careful about making claims like that before you have all the facts honey."

"Oh I have all the facts I need...and plenty I never wanted to know thank you very much." Frankie muttered.

"Please keep your voice down" Jon spoke through clenched teeth as he began to lead Frankie through the house to find an empty room.

"Why? Are you really that ashamed of your past?" Frankie tried to pull away as he continued from room to room becoming more and more agitated when he found each of them occupied. He steered her towards the stairs.

"Look I don't know who the fuck you are, or what the fuck you're trying to accomplish here but you're barking up the wrong tree darlin'" he whispered menacingly in her ear.

"Really? Am I? Well if you can tell me telling me that you and your wife have always been totally monogamous...even before marriage I will drop this right now." Frankie squirmed in his steely grasp and winced "Ouch"

His reply came in a measured voice "Leave..my..wife..out of this"

"Look, you know what...it really doesn't matter either way." Frankie said. They were now in an upstairs hallway overlooking the living area below and he was leading her to the room at the far end. "I have no interest in pursuing a relationship with you anyway, so if you will kindly release my arm I will be on my way" Frankie struggled against him but he wouldn't have it. Why couldn't I just keep my stupid mouth shut? She thought.

"Oh I don't think so honey" He manoeuvred her into the room which was obviously the master bedroom. As distracted as he was, he didn't notice the set of eyes following him through the railing from the living room below. "Look, like I said I don't know what the fuck you're trying to do here but if you think you can make some kind of ridiculous claims on me you are VERY mistaken"

"I'm not making any claims at all...not on your time, or your money, or on anything else....I was just stating a very unfortunate fact." Frankie yanked her arm free of his hand and began to move for the door. She felt uncomfortable being alone with him. She had done lots of research since figuring out the truth and was of the impression that his temper was somewhat volatile, especially when something posed a risk to his family. And what constituted more of a risk than an undiscovered love child.

Jon moved to step between Frankie and the door and she took an automatic step back. Was that fear he saw in her eyes? Fuck could I handle this any worse? He worked to calm himself before speaking again. When he did, his voice was cool and controlled. "Ok, I'll bite. Who the fuck do you think you are?"

"Oh, I know who I am. Your daughter...Frankie McKenzie. I'd like to say pleased to meet you but...."She trailed off.

"Yeah, sorry hon, never had anyone with that last name." A wave of relief washed over him, it would prove to be short lived. "I mean, I'm flattered that, well, you know, but...sorry..."

"Actually I'm the one who's sorry. You would remember my mother as Gina Romeo"

The name hit him like a physical blow.

Frankie couldn't help but feel amused as she watched the bravado crumble and the colour drain from his cheeks.

"Gina?" The question in his tone was unmistakeable; it was all he could manage.

"Yes that's right"

"Gina....is your mother?"

"Yes...are you a little hard of hearing? All that rock music taking a toll is it?" She asked derisively. "Gina was my mother and you" she paused , searching for the right words "...you were, unfortunately my... sperm donor."

Jon walked over to the window and stared blindly out over the party that was taking place below. Frankie's use of past tense was lost on him as memories of the past assaulted him. His thumb and forefinger massaged his furrowed brow as he contemplated the possibility of her claims.

"No... that's not possible" he concluded aloud turning to face her.

"So then you and she never...." Frankie, for the briefest of seconds, considered that she may be wrong before he spoke again.

"We were only together the once." He said disbelievingly, shaking his head.

"You seem like a relatively intelligent person to me. I don't need to give you a biology lesson do I? That's all it takes. Just once. That's all it took. What rotten luck huh? One quick fuck and...congratulations you're a daddy"

Jon bit down hard on his lip to prevent some glib comment from spewing forth from his mouth. He turned away again, deep in thought.

"Where is she? Did she put you up to this?" He asked, looking through his tortured expression reflected in the glass. A torrent of emotion was washing through him. He had no interest in this girl and her lies yet he was fascinated and excited by the prospect of seeing Gina again. He had thought of her often through the years, and had even spent a small fortune in Europe trying to find her to no avail.

Frankie ignored the first question. This conversation was, henceforth, strictly need to know... and he didn't. "No she did not! Can we please just forget this little exchange? I never intended for this to happen. I just didn't want to give you the wrong idea. Though why I cared what you thought of me, I will never know."

Jon looked at this young woman a little more closely. There was a resemblance to Gina. Or was he just imagining it, wishing it to be true. She had been his best friend but it had been so very long. Had time slowly robbed him of his memories of her? Had it dulled the image of her that he kept safe in a corner of his brain? He thought not... but then it had been... how many years had it been?

"When is your birthday?"

"November 14" She answered quickly.

"What year?"

"1989" She answered just as quick. He was expecting the hesitation of uncertainty.

"Fuck!" He cursed softly, almost inaudibly, almost. The last time he had seen Gina was Valentine's Day 1989. It was the first and only time they had made love.

"Falling into place is it?" She said smugly.

"Ok look, I don't know what you want from me..." She interrupted him then

"I told you...Nothing!" She almost yelled it. "Not a god damn thing. Why would I want anything to do with the man that ruined my family...my life."

A look of confusion crossed his face as she continued to speak.

"As far as I am concerned I will be quite happy to walk from this room and never see you again. In fact at this point that is my sincerest hope. To me, you are just a reminder of everything bad in my life."

"I haven't ruined anything." He said the confusion he felt now evident in his voice.

"If only you knew." She whispered quietly as he talked over her.

"And if you feel you should walk away... please be my guest. I do not need your brand of melodrama in my life. If I want that I'll go back to acting. Besides, I am sure this won't be the last I'll see of you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"There is no way you being here tonight was just a fucking coincidence! Now let's get this clear I am not admitting anything here, but I'd like your mom to call me. I really do think that it's pretty pathetic that she sent a child here to do this."

"I told you she didn't send me. I am working! Though if I knew you would be here I would have made other arrangements."

"Right honey! And what exactly were you "working"? His expression hardened again. His jaw was clenched and she could see the muscles twitch slightly beneath the skin. Her lies just kept getting bigger and more fantastic the longer he listened.

"I run the McKenzie gallery. Think about it. I am sure you recognise the name. You were a client of my fathers"

"You... run... the McKenzie Gallery" He said incredulous. "Give me a break will ya kid. How fantastical is this story going to get? You're barely out of high school"

Frankie winced at his words. It was a thought that often plagued her own mind and it disconcerted her that he thought the same.

"Well that's something we agree on. Though unfortunately I am sure when my dad wrote his will he wasn't expecting to die so soon." Her voice cracked on the word "die". She still had trouble coping with the new reality of her life.

Jon blinked once very slowly "Your dad...is...dead?"

"You obviously don't read the society pages...yes nine months ago. Killed in a car accident."

"I'm ....sorry" He was quiet for a moment. His dipped his head closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. Could I be any more of an ass?

"Is... Is Gina....ok?"

"Well she couldn't be worse off than she was when she was with you." Frankie snapped, the pain of her father's passing now raw in her chest.

Jon showed little reaction to her comment but she noticed his jaw tighten almost imperceptibly.

"I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here but if you think you have some kind of claim on me you're gonna have to show me something more than just... well what you look like and an interesting coincidence as far as dates are concerned. I'd suggest that if you want to continue this discussion you call my attorney."

Jon pulled his wallet from his back pocket and handed her a business card. Frankie didn't even bother to look at it before she was tearing it into tiny shreds, the pieces falling to the floor like snow.

"You really haven't been listening have you?" She asked exasperated.

The audacity of her actions astonished him. A low chuckle, born of shock and admiration, escaped him. He stood there staring at her, studying her and waited for her to shy away from his intent gaze, but she held firm her eyes meeting his in a very familiar, very disconcerting gaze.

"Frankie.... That's not very feminine. I can't imagine Gina naming her daughter that. Is it short for something?"

"Frances"

He assumed as much but that did nothing to lessen the shock when it was confirmed.

Frankie, seeing his reaction thought she'd go one better. "Frances Gina Carol to be precise"

"Frances....Gina....Carol?" His mother's name. Now this was going too far.

"Yep that's what I said. I really do think you should have your hearing checked."

"And you've got proof that is your name?"

"What would I gain from lying about that?"

Jon shook his head in amazement...The lengths people went to.

"Tell your mother I said hello. I'm sure you...or she...can find me if you need me"

"Don't hold your breath" Frankie shot over her shoulder as headed for the door.

"Can I ask you one question before you go?"

"Why not..." she said exasperated, her hand on the door knob, her escape from this nightmare imminent.

"Why now? I mean, I haven't heard from Gina in ... in nearly 20 years. Is it because...her..."He had trouble with the word husband ... that's funny, he thought. "...your father is dead now?"

"How many different ways can I say this. I told you already....I didn't want this...I didn't plan it. It was just an unfortunate twist of fate."

"You're not answering my question. Did she plan it? I mean... it wouldn't be that hard to find out I was gonna be here tonight." He said probing.

"I told you no. I was working. That's all. There was no plan. No premeditation."

Jon was finding it very difficult to swallow that this girl claiming to be his daughter was here by coincidence. The doubt was plain on his face.

"If you don't want to believe me, that's fine. Talk to Cary, Jon...the donation was planned over a year ago with my father. I'm just following through." Cary Elwes had been pivotal in the planning of the Gala. Frankie had observed him talking to Jon earlier in the night.

"Yeah well, just tell your mom to call me... if she wants to... discuss things...or whatever" He looked down and played with his wedding ring as he spoke, was that a trace of vulnerability she detected in his voice.

"Like I said, don't hold your breath. I can guarantee she won't."

It was Frankie's parting comment. Jon looked up to see the door click closed behind her. He let out a deep breath he didn't know he'd been holding.

Dot watched the young girl emerge from the upstairs bedroom and rejoin the party as if nothing had happened. It would never cease to amaze her, the brazen nature of these young women that found her husband so very irresistible. So irresistible in fact, that they were willing to fuck him not fifty feet from his wife.

This girl was different somehow though. There was not the glow that she had witnessed countless times before on the faces of her husband conquests. This girl looked almost... disappointed...sad. Maybe he was losing his touch, she thought smugly. That would serve him right.

A few minutes later the door opened again and Jon emerged. Dot turned quickly away, she didn't want him to see her watching him. She moved to a secluded corner of the house where she could observe him unnoticed. He stood at the railing now, looking down upon the party, searching the crowd. She watched as his attention focused and followed his line of sight. It was her...again. That was unusual. Once he'd had his fun Jon usually lost focus very quickly, but he was staring at this one intently and it wasn't just the usual lust in his eyes. There was... confusion and... admiration.

Jon caught sight of her from upstairs. Frances.... his daughter...could it be true? He studied her closely. The way she moved. Graceful, fluid. The way she charmed every person she came into contact with. It was effortless, natural...so much like himself. And hadn't he approached her in the first place because she reminded him of Gina. The woman she claimed to be her mother. He shook his head in denial. That didn't mean a thing. So maybe Gina was her mother...that alone did not make him her father. But if everything else she had mentioned was true...well wasn't that just too many coincidences?

Making his way back downstairs he kept her in sight. She flittered from group to group. Laughing here, complimenting there as the company required. He couldn't be sure but she did seem to be working, just as she had informed him. He searched her features intently, looking for any small resemblance to himself, but she was her mother all over. It was a sham... he was almost sure of it. It had to be. And then her gaze caught his. Steely blue eyes stared at him with curiosity, eyes that perfectly mirrored his own.

"So... once wasn't enough then. It's not enough that humiliate me when you leave the party to screw a woman young enough to be your daughter. Oh no... you have to continue your fixation in front of all of our friends." Dot stood behind him and spoke through gritted teeth, just loud enough so that only he would hear, a fake smile plastered on her otherwise furious features.

"It's not like that"

"Really? So please...tell me what it is like? Tell me why she is different to the dozens of women you've fucked just like her. Jesus Jon...I know we have an arrangement but for fucks sake can't you at least be discrete." She nodded at an old acquaintance as they passed by...Jon managed a tight smile.

"This is not the place to discuss this Dorothea." He began to move away from the annoyance that was his wife, crossing the room. Frankie was still working the party and he had lost sight of her.

"I say it is. What makes her so special that you are willing to risk your reputation? Was she that good? Or is this revenge for my comment earlier?"

"I'm not that petty Dot and I really don't give a fuck what you think anymore. I am only with you now for the kids."

His comment hit hard. "Nice"

"True"

"So did she just suck you off? ... It was quick. Oh maybe your stamina isn't what it once was?" She asked hoping to get a rise out of him.

"I didn't fuck her."

"Just a blow job then...explains what you are still so interested. She must have a magic mouth."

"Her mouth never came near me. Neither did the rest of her body. The reason I am so interested is because she is..."he hesitated.... my daughter...no not yet, not without proof, "Gina's daughter."

"Gina who?"

"My Gina"

Dot stiffened visibly and winced at his phrasing...my Gina. That stung. She stood frozen for a moment then a silent 'Oh' formed on Dorothea's lips. She had only ever tolerated the woman who had clearly been in love with her man.

"Where is she? Gina, I mean. I assume she wants something. To be coming back into your life after all this time." Though she didn't know the whole truth - could it be called that – no, the whole story, Dots words reflected perfectly his thoughts... "Why now?"

"No idea...The girl said it was a coincidence." He motioned towards her as she stood before a painting, obviously discussing its finer points, a clipboard and pen in hand. "Apparently she is working."

"I suppose that's possible" Dot conceded. "Stranger things have happened."

She studied the woman from across the room but was unsatisfied with the view. She began to stroll in her direction.

"Dot... What are you doing?" Jon was immediately at her side when Dot began to move in the girls direction.

"Going to talk to her... What do you think? Gina was my friend too you know." The look on Jon's face told Dot that he very much disagreed with that recollection.

"Leave her be" he hissed.

Jon's thinly veiled threat was enough to spark her curiosity and propel her those last few steps to the girl. Dot tapped the young woman on the shoulder and waited for her to turn. When she did – a warm smile on her face - Dot recoiled in shock. It took her less than one second to assess this young woman and determine what Jon had been unable to believe. This was her husband's daughter.

It was unmistakeable. His eyes peered at her from this unfamiliar face. Perfectly straight white teeth flashed in a stunning smile. Her hair was the same colour as his and as she stood there pen in hand - poised over her clipboard in a pose reminiscent of a secretary - her pinkie finger protruded recognizably crooked from her hand.

Dot took a moment to reconcile her thoughts before she spoke. Still her voice was shaky when she did.

"Sorry... I didn't mean to interrupt your work. We're just on our way out, but when Jon told me you were Gina's daughter I just had to say hello. You are very much like your mother...just as beautiful" And too much like your father. It was like her past had come back to haunt her. There was no way that Dot could remain in the same place as this...this person. She needed to escape and it had to be now.

Frankie stood stunned unable to speak...What had he told her? What should she say? Sorry just didn't seem appropriate and she couldn't handle another confrontation tonight. Even now she was struggling to remain composed under Jon's distant – he was on the other side of the room hedging ever closer to the exit - but watchful gaze.

As if attune to Frankie's thoughts and feelings Dot continued quickly, her words rushed, her voice beginning to crack. "Any way like I said, we are just heading out but I wanted to tell you to give my regards to your mom...it's been way too long." And I'd like nothing better than to keep it that way.

Before Frankie could even utter a word the woman was gone. She watched as Dot crossed the room to her husband. She watched the tight set of Jon's jaw and the deep scowl as his wife approached. When she reached him she indicated, none too subtly, that it was time to go. Without as much as a backwards glance the pair headed out the door.


 

9 comments:

diane4jovi said...

Loved this chapter. You wrote it so well. I think this is just how a situatuion like this would really go down. Too bad Gina is no longer around. Hmmm...who will be Jonny's Gina in this story since it's so obvious Jon is not in to Dot any longer. Well done. Please don't leave us hanging too long.

koolsheena said...

The chapter was so good and totally worth the wait. :) Looking forward to reading more.

Bayaderra said...

Frankie has the Bongiovi temper!!!
More! More! More! Please!!!!

The Goddess Hathor said...

This was great. I can't wait to see where this is going next!

~ Hath

Anonymous said...

Something tells me Jonny is in BIG trouble here. Great job, as always, Venus.

Faithfully yours,
The Fiction Mistress

VENUS said...

Thanks for the feed back guys! And Hath thanks for the heads up on the posting error. :-)

TaraLeigh said...

Catching up on this story. OMG!
I was leaning in, reading in that frenzied way that means I have to go re-read. LOL

What a great lead in. I can see Jon being just that cool and pretentious if someone came up to him with that situation. I really loved how Jon reacted in his head to the info. To the MY GINA and then the awful relationship he and Dot seem to have.

Holy Hanna! Lots of stuff going on here!

Super_Kiwi said...

This was explosive, and what I had been waiting for -- I loved the confrontation between Jon and Frankie AND that she never told him Gina was dead, very cleverly sidestepped more than once. You craft a great scene woman. :)

I also love the dark-side to Jon & Dot's relationship and the fact that they have this arrangement, her thoughts around her husband's latest fuck -- were great.

Judith said...

wow! I almost held my breath through the whole chapter!

Definitely the Bongiovi temper!

Jon and Dot´s marriage sounds aweful. I don´t think their kids are oblivious to this.

Gonna read the next part now ;)
Great chapter!!!